John has had a long and varied career, spanning five decades, with three main threads. Here are some career highlights in each thread:
- Real-time and embedded systems and tools:
- 1980's - Designed, developed and sold the REX-186 real-time operating system.
- 2000's - Developed teaching tools that introduce students to control systems.
- 2000's - Led the UK team that developed much of the system software for the SunSPOT.
- 2010's - Worked with French firm IS2T to help develop their embedded Java tools.
- Commercial and banking systems:
- 1990's - Joined the Derivatives Technology group of Bankers Trust Company as Managing Director / Architect to lead a major technical re-engineering initiative.
- 2000's - Chief Architect for a J2EE-based gas utility management system.
- 2000's - Chief Architect for the OPSCO back-office project, a distributed financial settlement system within the investment banking division of HSBC.
- 2010's - Architect and data modeller for the Atlas Trade equity derivatives trading system at Barclays.
- Design methods and project processes:
- 1980's - Developed and presented the first commercial training course in the UK on object-oriented analysis and design.
- 1990's - Created and applied the Syntropy object-oriented design method, which influenced many aspects of the UML and its related processes.
- 2000's - Devised a process for the design and specification of software components.
- 2010's - Gained experience of applying agile practices and processes in large organisations.